Sunday, April 12, 2015

Graduate School

The Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing
"A place where exceptional people discover possibilities that forever change their lives and the world."

Last fall I applied to three graduate nursing programs; St. Catherine's University (St. Paul, MN) University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) and Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD). In my undergraduate studies I always knew I wanted to continue my education to become an advanced practice nurse. Back then, I never really saw myself pursuing family practice, but through my experiences as a nurse, I have come to realize that family practice will allow for the most career possibilities. In the short amount of time that I've been a nurse, I've had the opportunity to work on the medical, specialty surgery, orthopedic, spine/stroke/neuro, postpartum, and neonatal intensive care units.  Through further education as an NP, I am hoping to acquire a broad knowledge base that will provide a solid foundation for clinical practice. I plan to eventually pursue a specialty/subspecialty area of practice, and I have interests in cardiology, neurology, dermatology, and emergency medicine.  I also have interests in global health and nursing research. 

After what seemed like eons of waiting for response letters, I was surprised to receive offers from all three programs. I was initially put on the wait list by the University of Utah, but was later extended an offer after I had already received acceptance into Hopkins.  I was blown away and so incredibly grateful for the opportunities that were before me, but I had a difficult decisions to make. In the end, Jacob and I agreed that I should follow my dream and accept the offer to Johns Hopkins University. I cannot begin to express the depth of gratitude and humility that I felt in having such an amazing opportunity. The day I discovered my acceptance letter, I sprinted up the stairs to show Jacob and my eyes immediately begin filling with tears. After getting over the initial excitement, I knelt in prayer to thank my Heavenly Father for this amazing opportunity. One, that I probably didn't deserve. I will never forget that day, and I plan to make the most of my time and educational experiences there in order to develop and pursue a career that will allow me to serve and help others. 

Over the months that I have been preparing to attend school, I have discovered some fun facts regarding the rich historical legacy foundational to the university.

Johns Hopkins University in general:
-Founded in 1876, the University was named after its first benefactor, the American entrepreneur, abolitionist, and philanthropist Johns Hopkins.
-His 7 million Dollar bequest--Have which half financed the establishment Of the Johns Hopkins Hospital--Was the largest Villa tropic gift in history of the United States at the time
-Johns Hopkins is organized into 10 divisions on campuses and and Maryland and Washington D.C. with international centers in Italy, China, and Singapore.
-The first research university in the United States and one of the founding members of the American Association of Universities, Johns Hopkins has been ranked among the world's top universities throughout its history.435 consecutive years, it has been ranked number one among US academic institutions by the National Science Foundation in terms of total scientific, medical, and engineering research and development spending
-Over the course of almost 140 years, 36 Nobel prize winners have been affiliated with Johns Hopkins (the first with U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, who received his Ph. D. in history and political science from the university)

JHU School of Nursing:
-Established in 1889, it is one of the nation's oldest schools for nursing education
- The School of Nursing in conjunction with the Johns Hopkins Hospital was founded after in-depth consultation with Florence Nightingale on its planning, organization, structure, and curriculum.
-In 2017, the JHU Family Nurse Practitioner program was ranked #1 in the country by U.S. News
-The Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing is located on the Johns Hopkins University East Baltimore campus along with the Bloomberg School of Public Health, School of Medicine, and the Johns Hopkins Hospital
-It is one of the few campuses in the world where highly ranked schools of nursing, medicine, and public health, are adjacent to one another and within stops of a top-ranked hospital
-It is also among the top recipients of nursing research funding from the National Institutes of Health
-The school's mission is to provide leadership to improve health care and advance the nursing profession through education, research, practice, and service.

On another note, I cannot talk about leaving Fairview Hospital without almost crying. I have had experiences, both exciting and heartbreaking, during my time there as a nurse and have grown so much from the people I have met. I will miss my co-workers and the warmth and laughter they brought to my life! 









No comments:

Post a Comment