Saturday, October 18, 2014

I love Fall

Fall is my favorite time of year. The colors, the smells, the pumpkin patches, the apple cider. I love when it's just cool enough for a cozy sweater and homemade soup. This year was one of the most memorable falls ever. And it all started with me decking out my porch to welcome in the season.  

 
In October, Jacob's family came to visit us. We had so much fun shopping, going to the science museum, visiting an apple orchard and corn maze, and going to a Wild hockey game.

Museum Boat

A little shopping never hurt anyone...
 
We visited Luceline Orchard, ate lunch, walked around, went on a hayride, and wound our way through a corn maze.


My mom would have loved these. She has always loved burros. Technically speaking, these here were miniature donkeys, not burros, but who cares? They were so darn cute you just wanted to put them in your pocket and take them home with you!







Hayride

Beautiful day for getting lost

Scott, Jayden, Jacob, Nyla



Jayden giving me a thumbs-up with his wooly caterpillar

Pyrrharctia Isabella. These amazing little critters emerge from their cocoons in Fall and Winter and produce a cryoprotectant that allows them to survive during winter while still freezing.



Cute litte train ride for the rugrats
 
Even caramel apples made with Luceline produce

Wild NHL game





It was during this breakfast one morning, that I introduced my in-laws to my love of blood mary mix. I drink it morning, noon, and night because it's that good. Although they weren't quite jumping on the bloody mary bandwagon, at least they now know of it's beautiful existence. All my nursing friends get it.

One last crazy picture before they left
After the Jensens headed back home, my  mother came to visit and attend a women's conference with me and some of the sisters in my ward. The conference was held in Madison, Wisconsin, so we all took a road trip over weekend. The conference was so inspirational and uplifting. The theme was "Inevitable Light" and the purpose was to help us recognize the light and talents each one of us has within us. One of my favorite things about the conference was getting to hear Jenny Oaks Baker perform on her violin. Jenny Oaks Baker (Dallin H. Oaks' daughter) is a grammy-nominated, Julliard graduate. Her music is incredible and when she played, everyone fell silent. Her music is the kind that transports you to a different time and a different place and when you hear it, you can't help but close your eyes for a moment and imagine.


Jenny Oaks Baker Music Video



We also had to visit a gourmet cheese shop called Fromagination. My friend Diana and I fell in love with it. Since her husband served a mission in France and I am practically a Francophile, it was the perfect cheese store as many of their cheeses and products were imported from France.







We sampled a few cheeses before purchasing any, one of which was a black truffle cheese. I will never forget the tiny odds and ends of leftover cheese bits from the larger wheels that were now to small to sell at full price. They had a basket of them for sale at the register. They called them their "cheese orphans." Of course, I thought that was far cuter than anything really should be, so I had to buy a few. How could I say no to an orphan in need?!


Our group: Mary Kay, Mom, Me, Tina, Bonnie, Diana, Leah
 
My mom trying Indian food for the first time: chicken tikka masala, chicken josh, basmati rice, and garlic naan. I laughed out loud when she tried to catch a fly that was buzzing around by clapping her hands together, bringing them to heart center, and while bowing her head said, "Namaste." Her way of paying homage to my love of yoga and India Palace.
"Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale." -Lauren DeStefano
I will never forget the Falls here in Minnesota. Not too far from our house is the Carver County Reserve which has acres upon acres of trees, trails, ponds, and lakes. I went on a walk here with Jacob and my mother this Fall and the display of colors was unlike anything I had ever seen before. It is hard to capture in an image, but the forest had such an ethereal glow and the leaves were so vibrant and brilliant that they appeared as if they'd caught fire. In all my traveling and wanderings, this simple walk, was one of the most memorable and beautiful things I've ever seen.
  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment